Thursday, August 13, 2009

13 Weeks Old




Wow, it's hard to believe that my babes are 13 weeks old - technically they are only 3 weeks old if you use their "corrected age," as they say in the medical world. Wow! 13 weeks ago we went through a very scary time where we learned that our doctor wanted to take the babies early. I was terrified. Then they were born and they were sent directly to the NICU where nurses told us they would probably be until their due date (10 weeks later) - Hannah was in for 5 weeks and Samuel in for 8 weeks. Now, they are home and doing perfectly fine! Praise God for miracles like my babies. What a testimony they are to His goodness. The time that they were in the NICU was SO HARD but now I look back on it and it seems like only a blip on the radar... We would have never have made it through that time on our own strength... it was only by HIS strength that we made it. And now it's only by His strength that we make it through each day. I'm so thankful for the two precious babies that we have to add to our beautiful family and I give God all the glory!!!

The big question that we are constantly asked is this, "So, how is it with TWO?"

Well, the answer is that it is going well. They were on a schedule when the came home from the NICU (both on the same schedule) so they eat and sleep at the same times. I do have many periods throughout my day where both babes are sleeping at the same time and during the afternoon I have a period where all 3 kiddos are asleep. Now, they are *those* days where things don't go as I would like but overall I can't complain. They are only waking up once during the night (around 1-2) so I really can't complain about that either.

However I must admit that when things get hairy... they REALLY get hairy. This doesn't happen often (thankfully) but there are times where they both are needing attention as well as the 2 year old, as well as my dinner prep, as well as the husband coming home, as well as the laundry, etc... you get the idea. I have mastered picking up two infants at a time, feeding two hungry infants at a time, and I've mastered the art of wrapping the paci in the mouth... it's those little things in life... :)

I wouldn't trade this for the world... as hard or as easy as it is. Having twins brings a joy that you could never experience with a singleton. I'm so blessed to have two beautiful, healthy babies to share the love of Christ with and to share my love with. I can't wait to see the little people that they will grow into and how their personalities will evolve.

Here's some small known facts about my babes:
*Both babies loved to be swaddled. If they are fussy and not swaddled, I'll wrap them up and it usually does the trick.
*Samuel is our laid back baby. He can be swaddled and put in his bed wide awake and he'll lay there until he eventually closes his eyes - not a peep. Hannah is definitely our more "high maintenance" child. She just likes to let you know when she's not happy and then when you fix it for her - she's content again. It's funny because this is what I concluded from their time in the womb... Sam was laid back and Hannah was always the one that was moving in every direction and kicking every square inch of my belly!
*Samuel has a soft, raspy cry that breaks our heart... You can hear Hannah's cry in the next county!
*Hannah hates to sleep on her back while Samuel loves it.
*Hannah loves her paci. Sam could take it or leave it.
*Hannah loves to be held up over your shoulder or in the "sitting up" position. Sam doesn't mind being held like a baby.
*Samuel is still in NB clothes (even those are big on him) and Hannah is pushing to the top of the 0-3 size. They both are super long so we're in 3 month jammies.

Mady is having a ball with two babies around the house. I am always finding her "little people" next to the babies and she likes to read her books to them. Whenever we see pregnant ladies around (we have a few friends that are pregnant), Mady always makes it a point to say "they are having just ONE baby mommy." Yes, Mads, most people have just one baby at a time but God decided to bless us with two. What a privilege to be the mom of 3 little blessings.... ALL under the age of THREE!

3 comments:

Katie T. said...

Sounds like things are going so well for you all! The babes are so precious. It actually looks like Sam is bigger than his sister in the top pic! Much love to you all.

Anonymous said...

be careful not to compare those two. Although they will be compared for their entire lives, someone doesn't like that. They are both blessings and my pics for "twins of the century". So happy for you and me!!!!!

Lindy said...

Those babies are each so wonderful and unique! I can't wait to see the 2 individuals they will grow into!! They have two awesome parents and an adorable older sis who will always love and care for them!!!!!!! You are all so blessed, and I am so happy for you! : )