Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Kite! My Kite!


A few weeks back, we were driving home and someone was flying a kite at the ball diamond by our house. Mady saw it, asked what it was and we told her. After hearing about it, she commented that she would like a kite. Every kid should fly a kite, so last week, we went out and found her one.

Apparently it's not entirely easy to find a kite in August in Illinois. Jenn had to go to several different stores to obtain one. She finally found one, believe it or not, at the dollar store. (for $2). It was some pink and blue one. I don't know.

We got home and I was asked incessantly about flying the silly thing in the back yard. A couple of days later, we unwound it, and away she went! Mady and I had a blast flying a kite for her first time. I was reminded during this little period that this is one of the joys of parenting. She had a blast and the smile on her face was priceless.


Cautiously I let her hold her kite. It was a fairly breezy day, so it flew very well. She loved it. I reminded her constantly to hold on tight to her new kite. I reminded her constantly...


About 20 minutes later, I look over and as she is switching hands, she accidently lets her kite go. She started screaming, "MY KITE! MY KITE! I've never run so fast in my entire life. This thing didn't fly up, it just flew away about as fast as I can run, about 10 feet away from me. I ran around the house, across our front yard, across the street, over the neighbor's flower garden, around a fence and I finally caught up to it on the next street over. I must have looked ridiculous, grasping at a kite string barely out of my reach.

I brought it back and she was thoroughly happy (I was sucking on my inhaler for at least 10 minutes afterwards). We continued to fly it again, but in the front yard this time. Cars drove by, neighbors waved and we were having a great time...until it happened again. This time it didn't go as far and I caught it in our neighbor's yard. Jenn saw the whole thing unfold this time around and laughed hysterically. She also made fun of me, saying that I run funny. Way to bruise the ego of an asthmatic still trying to catch his breathe.

We put the kite away for another day. It was an awesome memory making experience that we can ALL laugh about today.

1 comment:

Musicmaker said...

Wonderful - beautiful - memorable!