Friday, January 22, 2010

Homemade Dave Ramsey Envelope System

Mark and I have been on the envelope / cash system for almost 6 years now. We love it and wouldn't have it any other way. We love the Dave Ramsey style of working with finances.

I don't deal with the budget as a whole (that's definitely Mark's job as I hate working with money) but I am in charge of the grocery budget and the grocery shopping. I get an allotted amount on the 15th of every month when Mark gets paid. If we run out of money early, then we find stuff in the pantry and the freezer to eat. I could get more money but that defeats the purpose of having a budget. So, my goal is to not go over our grocery budget every month - I even try to have excess. I use coupons like crazy and find good deals everywhere (I'm getting ready to take advantage of a Huggies Diaper Deal that I found - Diapers for less than $5 per pack!).

Anyway, I've been searching for a cool envelope system for my grocery cash each month. I saw some cool ones on Etsy and Ebay but they were pretty pricey. Then I found a blog where I can make my own .... so I did. Here are some pics:
Here's the front.
I made 4 separate envelopes, all the same matching colors. I woke blue/green ribbon through the top and labeled each envelope "Week One Groceries" - "Week Two Groceries", etc.
I put a piece of matching cardstock on the back so that I could slide it in my wallet and the envelopes would stay put!

I love my little system. I may even make up more for other things like "Eating Out" - "Dates" - "Gifts" - etc. I like the idea of separating out the cash for each week. Maybe that will help even more with not overspending... and I'll only buy what I need.

I'm sure excited to use my new system! Now I just need to go shopping :)

2 comments:

Katie T. said...

Very cute! We are on the envelope system too - trying to get back on the Dave Ramsey wagon. Thang wanted me to ask you how you save thousands each year...

Musicmaker said...

Great idea! and I'm going to google this envelope system right away - sounds cool.