Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Whopping 12 Weeks


Earlier this week, I hit the 12 week point in my pregnancy. According to the nurses, this is a huge step as the rate of miscarriage drops immensely. I'm doing well and feeling great. I think I'm finally over the random bouts of nausea (I never got physically sick just felt "oozy" at certain points of certain days) and also the cramping that I was having earlier in the pregnancy. We've had at least 5 sonograms and about double the amount of doctors appointments so we've been able to see the babies quite frequently. About a week ago I had my 3 hour glucose test. I didn't pass the one hour so I had to take the 3 hour. I wasn't real optimistic as I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Madalyn but much to my surprise I passed the 3 hour too!!! So, as of now I don't have to prick my finger 3 times a day. I will repeat the 3 hour two more times later in my pregnancy though.

My last 2 ultrasounds have been especially entertaining as the babies have been moving quite a bit. The one I had at the end of January was a basic ultrasound to see how things were growing. Both babies were right on scheduling - measuring only days apart from each other. Mark and I joke as Baby A was very calm and relaxed while Baby B was spinning, flipping, moving every part of its body. Baby A's heartbeat is also running about 10 bpm faster than Baby B's believe it or not.

My most recent ultrasound this past Monday confirmed our suspicions that Baby B is going to be the ornery one! The ultrasound tech was measuring the nuchal fold on the back of each baby's neck. She first went to Baby A, who is on my right side, and as we guessed, Baby A was relaxed and just chillin. The tech had a great view of everything that she needed and even commented how Baby A was "so photogenic." Ha! Then we get to Baby B... The tech went in for the picture and what do we see on the screen... Baby B's back! The baby was facing my back and obviously not in the position to see the fold on the back of its neck. The tech had me lay on my left side for a bit... nothing. no movement. Then she had me lay on my right side. Nothing. No Movement. Then she started pressing on my belly to try to "wake the baby up." Nothing. We probably did this about 2 more times before finally the baby rolled over and the tech was able to see what she wanted to see. After the tech measured both babies she went back to get a picture of them side by side. Baby A was, of course, still in great form while Baby B decided to be contankerous again. My picture of my little babies side by side in utero contains a picture of Baby A stretched out - great side profile - and the top of the head of Baby B.

I wonder what this means? Haha. I wonder if Baby A will be quiet and content and Baby B will be ornery? I guess we'll have to wait and find out :)

1 comment:

Danice said...

So cute!!! How amazing to have ultrasounds so often and be able to see your babes already...enjoy the journey!