Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Salute to a Fallen Hero

I just got back from a long trip to Cleveland to visit some clients. I don't mind the trip as I enjoy the people at my facilities out in Ohio, but I just don't like being away from my family.

On my way back today, I followed a van into a gas station. He very slowed pulled off of the interstate on the off ramp, onto the frontage road and into the gas station. As each interminable second passed, I got more and more agitated. He was driving so slow. He pulled into the gas station and I zoomed around him. I pulled into my slot, popped open the gas flap, filled completely up, ran inside and used the restaurant, ran back outside, figured out my gas mileage for my trip, started up my car and started to pull out. And that's when it hit me...

I looked up and saw this seasoned gentleman still putting gas in the same van that I followed into the station. I realized that he was taking his time, enjoying himself (unlike some of us). He has learned to slow down, to enjoy life and take a deep breath every once in awhile. So what if I broke the gas fill-up speed record? Who cares that I can run into the restroom, do my duty before most guys even make it to the stall? I want to take a page out of this guys book...to slow down and enjoy life for a few minutes.

I was still contemplating this situation when way down the interstate, I beheld an amazing site...

As I drove down the interstate, I saw all kinds of red and blue lights flashing coming from the opposite direction. As I watched, I saw 16 cop cars followed by literally 200 motorcycles w/ the American flag on their bikes, followed by a black van...followed by a hearse. As I gazed, this hearse was followed by literally several hundred cars all in a single file line on the interstate, and then it dawned on me that this was the procession for the local soldier who recently was killed in Afghanistan and today was his funeral. I pulled over along with all of the other cars going in my direction. I looked up in my rear view mirror, and I saw the most amazing site...the guy behind me slowly got out of his car and with all of the world watching, in his formal fatigues, he stood erect saluting this unknown comrad, a fellow soldier. His intensity was undeniable. His attitude unyielding. His loyalty a proclamation and his passion unparalleled.

Several hundred cars passed with their lights on and a funeral sign attached to their window, and then a I saw a great site: 2 cop cars were following this entire procession with their lights on, not allowing anyone to pass this 5 mile long bereavement ceremony. I can imagine that someone way back in this holdup was getting irate that the speed on the interstate was so slow. They wouldn't realize that they were following a funeral procession, but that they were just going slow. Hopefully the firetrucks and policemen at each overpass on Interstate 74 would give it away, but if not, I learned something today: slow down and enjoy life. Enjoy the life that I have that has been earned through the scars and stripes of these fallen heroes. The American flag that was waving in the wind of those motorcycles stands for a freedom that I've taken for granted but today my perspective has been changed. I want to thank those that have helped make my life possible. My level of gratitude for them is difficult to communicate but is nonetheless very real.

1 comment:

Musicmaker said...

that must have been awesome!