Friday, February 29, 2008

An afternoon at the Spa! (and dinner later!)

All I can say is now I know why women love the spa so much!

My mother-in-law surprised me with a facial and a massage at a relatively new spa in Charleston, IL. She made the appointment for yesterday afternoon. I dropped Madalyn off at my cousin's house (who has an in-home daycare) and I headed down to Charleston. I was so nervous but it was AMAZING.

I have had a massage before - while I was pregnant and in my 2nd trimester with Mady. Mark got me a 30 minute massage for Mother's Day. However, I wasn't very impressed. It was at a place here in town and it was a good quality massage but I was discouraged by the fact that my "30 minute massage" started the minute I walked in the door. I think I only got a good 15-20 minutes of massage. The place I went to yesterday was completely the opposite. I had the massage first and she did a wonderful job! I had every inch of my upper body massaged on a heated table - even my fingers and my head. I tend to get knots in my shoulders and upper back so this was the main focus but I have to say there is something nice about having the palms of my hands massaged! Who knew? And when she was massaging my head, I was starting to fall asleep... reminded me of when I was little and my mom would rub my head. (I think all moms do this and I'm sure all children love it! Mine does!) The other fun part was the hot towel she gave me afterward to clean off the oil. She pulled it out of this refrigerator looking contraption and it was steaming hot. It felt so nice though - until it cooled off and I got cold! :)

Next, I was off to my facial. I was really nervous about this and I honestly wasn't sure it could get any better than the massage. I was wrong! I LOVE facials. That was my first one ever and I'm already looking at making another appointment. I laid in a reclining (& massaging) chair while she "facialed" away. Lots of stuff being rubbed into my face, wiped off with super warm cloths, a massage of my shoulders, hands, fingers, face, a mask was applied and then warm cloths over my entire face to heat it, steam was applied, an ozone treatment to get rid of bacteria, and of course moisturizers. Now I obviously don't know in what order all that was done and I really don't care but when I was done my face felt softer than my baby's bottom and I must say she has a pretty soft one!!! She gave me some tips on keeping my skin clean and I'm going to go back so she can help me get a clearer complexion. I'm really looking forward to the changes I might see.

http://parkhillsspa.com/

So, yeah, I had a great afternoon. If anyone wants to go with me, let me know and we can ride together. The prices are extremely reasonable - I was even surprised that the cost was as low as it was. And the facility is immaculate!

On another note, Madalyn and I went to dinner with some friends last night at Chili's. I consider them my "mom and dad away from home" and they were watching out for me while Mark was away. It was really fun. Mady did great. Ironically, the lady sitting next to me who leaned over to tell me my daughter was beautiful turned out to be a cousin whom I haven't seen in at least 10 years! She lives in Charleston and we ran into each other at Chili's! Crazy!

No comments: