Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Finishing Touch


Well, we put up our new shower curtain this morning to complete the bathroom remodel project!!!! I LOVE it! It's so bright and happy! I picked out the shower curtain while Mark was out of town so I took him out to see it yesterday. He said it was "fine" ; we got it home though and it worked perfectly!! We still need to add little things like white accent towels and the soap dispenser / toothbrush holder set and maybe a couple of rugs.. but at least now we are able to take a shower in there again! (I was getting tired of going downstairs!)

Many thanks to my wonderful husband who put many hours of hard work into that room! You did a great job, hun!

Addendum: Thanks Jenn. It's nice to have hard work rewarded. I'm so glad this project is done. It was one of those deals that takes twice as long and twice as much to finish. I also ran into a number of hang ups. When I pulled all the tile off around the tub/shower area, I realized that whoever put it up before didn't use cement board for a tile backer, and it caused a lot of water damage. I ended up ripping out all the walls around the shower/tub area down to the wood slats. Put up 5/16" cement board. Since I was going over the existing linoleum on the floor, I put down cement board there to0. I decided on 6x6 gleaming white tile for the walls/shower and 12x12 Venetian beige for the floor. The walls were a dark lavender, they are now the Irish green that you see. All the cabinets/door/trim were also lavender, they got 2 coats of brilliant white, as did the ceiling. Putting in the new exhaust fan and running new wiring for the 2nd switch required help. GME Construction did a fine job (thanks Mark Eschbach!)

When I pulled the toilet on day 1 (of 13 - I'm slow, and I have to work it around my work schedule), it was in perfect working order. When I put it back in, the tank would not fill (and I realized I needed a longer piece of pipe to go from the floor to the toilet since I raised the floor 3/4".)That was depressing. It caused issues with connecting the hardware in the shower too, since I brought the walls out another 1/2". Got that all dealt with, but the toilet for whatever reason would not fill. After an hour, I got mad and pulled out all the floats/levers out of the inside of the toilet and went back to the hardware store. So, we basically have a brand new toilet now too. Just stuff like that.

We're happy with the end result. It's really green, but we think it looks pretty cool.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Angelo said...

Wow - that looks awesome! I think you guys have a good eye for color. I HATE the home improvement projects that are twice as complicated, time-consuming, expensive as you think they're going to be. That's pretty much been every home improvement project at our house! :) Congrats on your new bathroom.