Friday, April 4, 2008

Let me out!!!!

Mark and I have started a new tactic this week... Let me begin by giving a little background. Ever since Mady was a few months old we've tried to give her "downtime" in her room by not picking her up immediately when she wakes or by putting her in her crib with toys or books when she was getting fussy and overstimulated. We always appreciated these times. I also really think that it taught her that when she wakes up from sleeping, she doesn't need to cry. She knows that crying won't make us come in and get her. This is nice because (1) she hardly cries now when it comes to naps and sleeping and (2) she'll sit in her crib playing or talking until Mom or Dad decide it's time for her to get up. We don't let her decide when she wants to get up by crying.

Anyway, lately she's been getting really grouchy around dinner time. According to my friends who have toddlers, this is pretty typical. It's apparently a well known fact! Usually the time that I start making dinner for the evening is the time when Madalyn decides she wants held or she wants me to read a book to her. I get really frustrated when I have a toddler trying to climb up my leg while I'm making dinner... or when she's standing in front of me signing "please" while holding her favorite book. As much as I'd love to stop what I'm doing and spend time with her, I can't... or else the husband gets really grouchy because he's hungry!

Yesterday I decided to take the advice of a friend (Thanks Liz!) and my husband. Liz has given me great advice from the time Madalyn was born. Mark really liked her idea of using a gate to keep Madalyn in her room to play. At first I wasn't so sure. I mean, she plays in her room all the time during the day without having to have a gate up so I wasn't too excited about locking her in her room.

Now, I LOVE the idea! The last two days have been great. Yesterday around 4pm I put her in her room and put up the gate. She cried for a couple of minutes but then I heard her in her room plunking away on her piano! (Watch out Mozart!) I was able to get dinner made and even sit a few minutes on the couch without her pulling on my pants leg. It was so nice. I was a little nervous though when I went in 35 minutes later as I wasn't sure what her room was going to look like! She didn't make too much of a mess!

Today I put her in her room for about 45 minutes and it was great! She did much better, only crying for about 30 seconds. (Although today she decided to empty the contents of her dresser drawers! Fun for mom!)

I really think that kids need that downtime during the day. As they get older, I think it's important to alter the ways that the parents make that possible. It seems that after only these two days, her attitude is so much better when I let her out. She seems rejuvenated! I also think that this will lead to great habits as she gets older. I know many teenagers who still, on their own, want that downtime that they had growing up as kids. I think we're on to something good!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! So glad it is working.

I think this 'down time' is important for grown ups too. I read this article that talked about it too.

http://lifedev.net/2008/03/10-ways-historys-finest-kept-focused-at-work/

Anonymous said...

that sounds so good for all of you - and I'm thrilled that she plays her piano.