Sunday, June 28, 2009

Are the bad mans out?

Last night, after we stopped by the hospital to see Samuel, we decided to head to downtown Urbana and check out the Blues, Brews, and BBQ festival. Mark is a big BBQ guy and can't ever pass it up so he was especially excited.

We headed over around 7pm and each got our meal (I had yummy BBQ chicken nachos). After walking around, chatting with some people that we knew (we ran into Sam's nurse), and walking through the kids area, we decided to head out. Mark had made a comment - "if we wait around much longer to leave this place it isn't going to be safe for women and children." (Of course almost everyone had a beer in hand and the band was getting started so we wanted to get out of there before things would possibly get rowdy).

Mady was upset that we had to leave and kept asking us why. I didn't really know what to tell her and so I said (not thinking she would really remember) that when it gets dark the people might start doing bad things. I didn't think too much about it and we left. On the way home we started a conversation with Madalyn about why it gets dark and why fireflies only come out when it's dark. Mady then asked a couple of questions about our conversation and then was quiet a bit. She then asked, "Mom, are the bad mans out now?" I asked what she was talking about and she said "the bad mans come out when it's dark and they do bad things."

I guess she was listening earlier when I had told her why we needed to leave the festival. It was pretty funny though and Mark told me that it was "blog-worthy."

As a side note... I've always grown up calling the fireflies "lightning bugs" whereas Mark is the one that calls them fireflies. If you're going to plan on explaining "lightning bugs" to a toddler - make sure that it isn't lightning outside...whew... it was a little confusing there for a second. We did have fun chasing the lightning bugs in the backyard when we got home. I'm glad it was dark because I know I looked like a fool out there! Oh well, Mady had fun and we made some fun memories!

1 comment:

Katie T. said...

So sweet! I do hope your little man can join you all very soon for such family outings!