Thursday, September 24, 2009

Meet "Cheese"...

In my last post, I introduced you to Matt, the praying mantis! I was sad that me, the camera fanatic, forgot to take a picture of Matt. However, I do have pictures of our newest addition... Cheese, the Beta fish!

A few months back we had told Mady that if she starting using the potty all of the time then we would buy her a fish. It didn't work and I had honestly put it to back of my mind. When I'm busy with 2 infants, potty training my 2 year old is the last thing on my mind. Monday night of last week she decided that she wanted to wear big girl underwear so I put her in them. We had done this a few times off an on and she would use the potty sometimes, but it made me nervous to let her run around in underwear so I would always end up putting a diaper back on her. This time she kept the underwear on all evening and told me every time she had to use the potty.

Two days later she was still wearing underwear (except naps and bedtime) and had had no accidents. I was so proud of her! She would go potty and then get all excited! She found it necessary to always yell at us from the bathroom saying, "Mommy/Daddy, I went pee-pee" or "Mommy/Daddy, there's poopy in the toilet!" It was pretty cute. She was doing wonderfully. She had her own routine too, which was cute to watch (she wouldn't let me help - little miss independant!). She would turn on the light, pull her stool over, put on her potty seat, go, then close the lid, wash her hands, and turn out the light.

Now, almost 2 weeks later, we're still going... only 2 accidents... and sometimes she's not wearing a diaper during her nap! We're so proud of her as she basically did it herself! It's so true that kids will let you know when they are ready!

Anyway, back to Cheese... Monday night we went to Wal-Mart to get Mady her very own fish! She picked out a purple Beta and named him Cheese.

We got him a bowl (or a "cave" as Mady calls it) and we put some shells in the bottom for him. Mady loved him! She held him all through the store and kept saying, "Hi little cheese!" We had to take him away at one point as we were sure he was going to suffer a heart attack from all the shaking by the time we got him home! She showed Cheese to all of the neighbors when we got home and then Mady and Daddy went in to feed him! She knows she feeds him 4 pellets every night.

Mady is in love with Cheese! She's constantly talking to him and the last two mornings the first thing she says when she wakes up is, "Mommy, is Cheese awake?" It's super cute.

On the flip side, we have to constantly tell her to be careful as she likes to try to pick up his bowl (not good because it's glass AND full of water) and push his bowl around... I'm sure the poor fish is going to have a heart attack!

Just this afternoon I ran upstairs while Mady was finishing up lunch. She was awful quiet so I came downstairs and started cleaning up the lunch mess. I went to wipe off the table and looked down into Cheese's bowl... And what did I see..... 3 goldfish crackers floating in the fishbowl and Cheese was trying to eat part of them. I took a picture first (cause it was pretty funny) and then sternly told Mady that she can't put anything in Cheese's bowl except his food because it will make him sick. She made a sad face and said, "I'm sorry mommy. I'm SO sorry!" The rest of the afternoon she was constantly asking me if Cheese was okay!


It was so funny and I wanted to laugh so bad but I also had to keep a straight face so that she understood that it wasn't good for things to go in Cheese's bowl! Oh, the things kids do....

I LOVE BEING A MOM!!!!

No comments: