Thursday, December 18, 2008

Madalyn's Very First Christmas Musical.

On Sunday evening, my daughter starred in her very first Christmas musical at church. And of course I think she did beautifully! It was a really good production and all of the kids did a great job. Mady was in the youngest group. Their job was to walk up onto the stage, bells in hand, and "sing" Jingle Bells, Away in a Manger, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas. Then they sat with parents while the "big" kids finished the production. I have to believe that Madalyn was the youngest child in her group. About half of her group sang and rang their bells. The other half just rang their bells! Mady - well, she just stood there.. not ringing her bell or singing... And for goodness sakes she was stinkin' adorable!

The day before the play, Daddy took her to her practice at the church. Apparently when it was her group's turn on stage, she froze and just stared, wide eyed. When they got home, Daddy worked with her on how to ring her bell. She already knew how to sing Jingle Bells - we'd been working on that for a couple of weeks. Daddy taught her to ring her bell and where to put her feet up on stage. Apparently the musical director told the little kids to put their feet on a certain line up on stage. Mady and Daddy would practice at home. He would say "ok Mady, where do your feet go?" She would proudly line her little toes on the edge of our red rug in the living room. She knew exactly how to put her feet on the line and how to ring her bell.

On the way to the musical, we again reinforced the fact that she should ring her bell. She would follow us up with a big, proud "yeah!" I was a little nervous how she would react with me being there so when she walked in and up to the stage I hit myself behind some other people. I envisioned her yelling "mommy" and taking off for me. But just the opposite happened. She looked right at me, smiled, and kept on walking! Up on stage she went....

Then on comes the music and the kids start singing and ringing their bells.. well, all except Mady. She stood there looking at the audience, looking at the other kids around her, and every so often glancing down to make sure her toes were still on the line! By golly, if anything else stuck, she made sure she had her toes on that line! During Away In A Manger, the kids had learned hand motions to go with the first verse. Mady did do one arm motion so I was super proud. It was really cute to watch her up on stage and to see how she would react. I think it's every parents secret exciting dream - to see their child up on stage in the church Christmas Musical. I was so excited and so proud - even though she was just standing there. It's almost like she was "growing up" right in front of me. She did a great job and I definitely have some treasured memories.

Now days after the event, I have to tell of her funny stories. She's obsessed with the song "Jingle Bells." I don't care if it's Jingle Bell Rock or the old original Jingle Bells - she loves it! She could be sitting in her room playing with something and when Jingle Bells comes on the radio she makes a mad dash for the dining room and starts singing - yep, singing the entire chorus! It's so stinkin' cute every time she does it (which is alot because we leave Christmas music playing on the radio all day long). She also has a new found appreciation for Away In a Manger. I mentioned earlier that they had motions for that song in their musical. The day after, we were here at home and that song came on. That little scoot did all the motions that they had learned for the first verse. She must have just been nervous up on stage. Now, every time she hears that song she says "Baby Jesus" and starts in with her motions. It's adorable!

I love memories like this. I love my little girl! Thanks for being so cute and for making Mommy and Daddy so proud!

2 comments:

Musicmaker said...

I posted an edited video of the show at my blog. Jenn's right - "stinkin cute!"

Musicmaker said...

oh, I forgot to say where our blog is. http://chuckncindy.blogspot.com/