Friday, February 27, 2009

Madalyn's Memory

I've been learning, as Madalyn gets older, that she has a very impressive memory. I'm not sure how she does it but considering I can remember what I was wearing on a certain day at a certain place (when asked) I guess it's not too surprising.

Madalyn has been on a kick lately of playing "Doctor" to her baby dolls and to "Ma" - her special bunny. This has been going on for about a week now. She'll get out her basket of baby supplies and doctor things, and she'll spend hours in her room taking care of her sick friends. It's quite humorous to listen to her talking to them; telling them to lay down and that "it's okay."

Just yesterday she had Ma laying on the couch covered with a blanket and I asked her what she was doing. She said "Ma sick, mommy. I doctor." I asked her if she was Doctor Bettinger and she proceeded to say, "No, I Doctor Hill." (Dr. Hill is her doctor at Carle.) Then she proceeded to tell me that she wasn't Doctor Davisson either (which is Mark's Doctor) but that she was, in fact, Doctor Hill. Since she was on a roll, getting two doctors right by herself, I decided to ask her what my the name of my doctor is.

**Now a little background... I had told her a couple of weeks ago when I had to go to the doctor that I was going to see Dr. Shepherd. She inquisitively said "shepherd?" The only thing I could think of to say was - goats and sheep - and I told her that a shepherd helps with sheep. I know, I know... Don't laugh.

So, as I asked her who Mommy's Doctor was she blurted out "Dr. Shepherd" and then she paused a moment and said "GOATS!" It was hilarious! Mark was laughing so hard he almost fell off the couch. But we were proud of her because she not only remembered my doctors name but she also remembered the reference to his name after only being told once.


*** On another note - along the same line... As most of you know, we lead the college ministry at our church and they meet at our house every Tuesday night. We usually let Madalyn stay up through the beginning part and the prayer. A couple of months ago we were praying for one of the students and her job at Red Lobster. Just about 2 weeks ago we were driving along and Mark said something about Red Lobster sounding good to him to eat. Madalyn popped up in the backseat and yelled the name of the student who worked there. She had remembered all that time.

I have no idea how she remembers this stuff nor where she stores it. It sure does catch us off guard though!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that actually made me laugh out loud a little! Madalyn is precious <3.