Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Time Away with Daddy

I'm finding as time goes by, and the days turn into weeks, and then months, that even with concerted effort, I'm missing things that my daughter learns and does. I don't want to miss out on the finer things in life. I want to be able to enjoy things with her. I want to be able to create memories, to cherish our relationship and to teach her things that I've learned. At this stage, I'm Jesus Christ on earth to her. This gives me the blessing that whatever we do, she thinks it's fun. It also gives me the responsibility to model Jesus to her. Sure, we read a chapter in the scriptures and pray every night before she goes to bed. Sure she goes to Sunday school and is involved in programs at the church, but am I really being Jesus to her? Do my words mimic His? Not to quote a cliche, but "what Would Jesus do?" So, last night, we went to Menards.

I find no better atmosphere to connect with Madalyn than with screwdrivers, chop saws and rakes. I've been going on the road pretty early this week (ie 5-6 am) and yesterday was not an exception, so I finished up my work around 3:00. I came upstairs and asked Mady, "do you want to go to Menards with me? I need a few things." (new batteries for our garage door opener, and some drain-o for a slow drain in the bathroom, and most likely some candy)

At this point, she got all excited, and said "orange store?" I looked at Jenn and she at me, and Jenn said "What?" Mady was like "orange store!" Jenn turned and said, "I think she thinks you are taking her to Home Depot." (Home depot has these huge orange carts that have a big race car on the front of them that Mady likes to sit in and drive. They're quite cool. Even if they are Nascar...) We thought it was hilarious that Mady now calls it the "orange store." She's right.

I said, "No baby, we're not going to the orange store, we're going to Menards. Can you say Menards?" "Menarts."

We got ready and took off. I told her that we could call Menards the "green store" if she wanted. "Green store?" "Yes Mady, green store. Menards." "Menarts."

We got there, and low and behold they have this huge green cart that has yet another nascar car on the front that she could sit in and drive. The bonus was that the horn on this car actually honked. At least it wasn't too annoying.

The only really annoying thing was that EVERY SINGLE PERSON that Mady saw, she insisted on yelling "Hello! Hi! Hi!" To which all the lovely people smiled and said HI! (genuinely, cuz it was kinda cute). So, we're just having a good old time walking around the store (I had to buy something, I had just received a free coupon in the mail for 15$ worth of merchandise). So we meandered down about every aisle. We were hanging out by the watch batteries (for the garage door opener) near the check outs, when this dad walks up with his 2ish year old son on his shoulders. He walks up and asks if I'm about to check out. I told him that we were just kinda meandering around the store. I thought it was a little odd, but thought I should answer his question. He goes on to tell me that his little boy is dying to ride in Mady's green nascar (there is only one of these in the store). Apparently this was the whole reason that they had come here, as they had been stalking me for the last 20 minutes, waiting for us to leave!

He asked if I would mind, if we traded out, which I absolutely didn't. I bent down and asked Mady is she would share the car with the little boy. She looked at me and I helped her climb out of the car. I told her to say "there you go" to the little boy, which she did, and he said "thank you" and Mady replied "you're welcome." It was a priceless exchange. I was so proud of her! She didn't cry one bit or whine. I talked to her all about sharing and that Daddy was so proud of her. She kept saying "little boy?" To which I responded, "yup, you shared with the little boy."

I let her even pick out a bag of hershey kisses with almonds, which I told her she would have to share with mommy. We got home and she ran to mommy with that bag of candy and a huge smile on her face.

I'm thankful for that very cool memory making experience. I could have worked on reports for work, but you know, they can wait till tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the most precious and wonderful thing I've read today - complete with several big laughs. You're awesome, Mark!