Friday, December 7, 2007

Arise and Walk!

Well, it is starting to happen. The zany, the crazy, the unthinkable. Mady is starting to walk. Daddy's little girl is growing up! It was actually quite entertaining. She thought it was hilarious. She's taken steps before, but not like this. Before, she would take a step, and maybe another 1/2 a step, and plop down. This started maybe a month or two ago. She's always been able to walk down the couch and grab things and hold on and walk, but never without aide (or a psychological crutch, as I like to call it).

I got home from breakfast with the 'boys today, and Jenn met me at the door with the Tot on the hip, and she was like, "Come show Daddy what you can do!" (Usually this means that Mady has learned where her ear is at, or the light or she filled her drawers to overflowing and Mommy wants Daddy to change her). What I saw was way cooler than filthy drawers from the fussy bucket.

Jenn sat down, stood her up, and away she went. It was serious walking (as opposed to funny walking, or jay walking or walking the dog, juaquine phoenix, or hot wok ). She took about 10 steps, in succession and then plopped down. She definitely needs a motivator though. At this point, I think her MO would rather be to crawl. Holding a book, or a candy bar (or a hot dog or mountain dew) or something like that out in front of her definitely helps. What she wants, she definitely goes after.

None the less, it was an extraordinary moment. I was glad to have been there. There are some advantages to working at home. Besides, I'm not driving today...it snowed like a 1/4 of an inch, and state employees don't drive in the snow. I started planning on staying home today on Tuesday when I HEARD about snow coming on Friday...

No comments: