Friday, December 21, 2007

Oil Change

So the Bettingers, about like everyone else, are pretty busy at this time of year. From having our Fusion college ministry at our home last Tuesday (which was a blast, by the way), to Jenn's Girl's Only group coming over, gift exchanges, friends and family functions, it's enough to wear you out. I'm glad that I did about 90% of my shopping around Thanksgiving, or else I'd really be sweating bullets right now.

We had a small gift exchange at our small group last night. Again, it was a blast. Good food, good fellowship, and good football talk. During the gift exchange, one of the first gifts that was opened was a box of 5 quarts of oil and an oil filter. A real prize for anyone that changes their own oil (I drive between 3 to 5 thousand miles per month, so count me in in that group). The standard is, is that you can steal a gift from someone else when it's your turn, but once a gift is stolen three times, it's considered frozen, and can't be stolen again.

The oil was opened, and all the guys looked at it. About 1/2 through the exchange, it got stolen, held for a few people, stolen again, however someone stole my hex set, so I was left without a gift. I stole the box of oil, and it was considered frozen. With my prize in hand, I beamed with satisfaction.

I had a slow day at work today (I work for the state, most of my clients are severly understaff at this time of year), so I decided to change the oil in the SUV and my car this afternoon. I already had a case of oil and a filter for my car, so I bought a filter for the truck (in exchange for the filter I got last night, so it was free). I found an old receipt in the truck from when I pulled into a Jiffy Lube. It was for almost $32.00. The oil and filter for my car I had found at a great sale, so it only cost me about $9.00. So, for 9 bucks, I changed the oil in both vehicles. I've spent $23.00 on the car before, so add both vehicles together, and it would have cost me about $55.00. Not a bad savings for about 45 minutes of work. Merry Christmas to me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a brave man....