Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The "After Christmas Exhaustion"

Let me just begin by saying that both Jennifer and I had an absolutely incredible Christmas. Last year, Mady was more or less a stagnant blob in a blanket (I say that in the most loving and adoring way, of course). This year, she was a wee bit more involved. Let me just clarify, she was an amazing joy to watch. She loved the lights on the trees, interacting with all of our family and friends (yes, we had 7 Christmas gift exchanges/parties/events that we were at in 7 days) and opening gifts. Having a beautiful wife and daughter changes everything during the holiday time. It adds dimension and depth and love that you just can't explain to someone that is single. For those of you that are parents, you know exactly what I mean. It also means added stress with neglected naps, grandparents that spoil and indigestion from all the amazing food. Oh my goodness. Even I gained weight. I'm sitting on the couch this morning exhausted. I'm so tired. More than that, I am so glad that I took the rest of this week off. I'm sorry if you have to work these 3 days. I saved my vacation days so that I took today, tomorrow and Friday off, and coupled with New Year's, I will have 11 straight days off and will have only taken 3 vacation days. Yah for me.

Ok, I'm done with the formalities. Down to the good stuff. First of all, Mady scored. She got all the typical neat books/toys/clothes stuff and she got this really cool real pink piano from my folks. I put it together this morning. It's pretty cool. She loves banging on it already.



She also got a itty-bitty new micro-suede Chicago Bears recliner from Jenn's folks. She loves it. It's down by Fred now. We can be friends.

She also got a 40cc gas powered 4 wheeler. The little sucker flies! We drove it around on the driveway yesterday at her folks. I drove, she road, and cackled the whole time. It will stay down in Mattoon, much to my disappointment. Jenn's dad drives it down the drive to get the mail. (If you listen real close to the video... you will hear Mady cackle as she and I are coming back towards the camera!)




I ended up going out last week and getting a pearl necklace for Mady. Needless to say, she won't be touching it until she's about 16. I think I'll add it on to our home owner's insurance policy...

My folks ended up giving me a Tomtom 510 GPS for my car. I was absolutely blown away. Dad and I drove in to town to test it out. Although the back roads in Charleston tested its upper limits, we made it to the coffee shop and back without getting lost! It can play MP3s through my radio, answer my cell through a blue tooth and fry up some eggs. J/k. I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles yet. I'm pretty stoked. (I was recently offered a promotion with my job to move onto the sales team along with consulting, so I will be going to lots and lots of new places, so it's going to be super handy now). Jennifer got me The Office seasons 1,2 and 3, which I'm most excited about. Lots of other fun things, however I also got an air compressor for the garage and a leather executive chair for my office and a gift certificate for a new suit at S & K.

She's too good for me. We have so many, many more memories to share, but I'm getting tired. Maybe I'll add more later..

I'll let Jenn add her thoughts on the last week, but I'm sure they'll mimic my sentiments, that I'm so thankful for all of friends and family that made this Christmas most extraordinary. We are so blessed.

No comments: