Friday, January 4, 2008

Endeavoring No More

We have had such a great New Year. I finally got back to work this week after 11 days off. It's been a little hectic getting back into gear again. I got an email yesterday from the head of my department stating that she had submitted the paperwork for my promotion onto the sales team. I was pretty excited about that. I told them that I wasn't going to do both consulting and sales. If I did that, I would be pulling "the rest" of my hair out.The timetable will be interesting. The university system doesn't exactly move along very quickly. That's an understatement...

We had some friends staying with us for a couple of days this week. I've known them for quite some time now. I lived with them when I was in college. They came into town after being in Atlanta, Georgia for the New Year, and it was really good to see them. Yesterday, they had some free time and I was working from home, so I let his wife and kids borrow our truck to have some free time, and that's when I got "the call."

"Mark, I was in an accident."

It was almost surreal. It took me about a second to comprehend the situation. I wasn't upset at all, knowing immediately that everything would turn out ok. None of the 4 passengers were injured, which is ultimately all that matters. The truck got thumped pretty good though. It happened after an improper turn. Unfortunately, it was her fault. And, I found out since we are the owner's of the vehicle, it will go against our insurance, not hers, and it will dink my premium rate. Funny thing is, I've never been in an accident...evidently now I have, and I wasn't even in the vehicle...

For what it's worth, we have a really cool rental car now. We drove it to the Illinois - Ohio State basketball game last night (we have season tickets). Yes, Illinois lost. It's a 2007 Dodge Magnum. Most of the time, when I think of a station wagon, I think of my mom and dad when I was growing up or granny or something. Since our 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor is an SUV, they wanted to give us something comparable, but Enterprise Rent-a-car didn't have any SUVs on the lot at the time, so they bumped us up to a premium car for no extra cost (thank goodness that we have rental insurance on our policy, the car costs about 40.00$ a day otherwise). The nice thing is is that we have unlimited mileage, so we don't have to worry about that issue. It's pretty swank on the inside and I personally think they look sexy.

So, the estimator is coming from Country Insurance to take a look at our truck today. We didn't have to tow it to our house (the accident was only about a mile away). I feel more comfortable getting it towed to the auto body shop now that I've looked at it better. I'm interested to see how much it's going to cost to get repaired. Maybe it will be totaled, and we'll get a new vehicle...

12:30 pm... Well, Neal Williams, an adjuster from Country Insurance just left. Our vehicle wasn't totaled...it looks like it's only $3100 worth of damage.

1/21/2008 2:00 pm... Jenn got a call this morning from Gallo-Miller, our auto body shop, and they said that they found another $600 worth of damage...that ups the total to $3700 total...and another couple of weeks to fix our vehicle. On another note, I'm glad that we had rental insurance. Our current rental vehicle would have cost us $42.00 a day, as of right now, that would have been over $700. By the time we are done, certainly it would have cost us over $1000.

No comments: